A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 25:11

Friday, September 10, 2010

My grandma's leaves


These were my grandmothers. They are templates. I think she drew them by hand and it appears they were done on a old manilla folder or something. She kept them in this little box ? Do any of you even remember Perry Como? I used to have a whole bunch of the leaves she made with these. She would trace them on construction paper and cut and color them with crayons and then hang them up. I was able to use them many years in my home and windows. The veins in the leaves are cut thinly with something like a exacto knife..I am not sure. It was a slit to be able to draw the veins on her leaves. My grandmother was very crafty and a great seamstress and gardener. I didn't grow up around her. I flew out twice as a married adult and got to spend some time with her. She is in Heaven now and I look forward to the reunion one day.
As much as I love Autumn, I "know" nothing will compare with Heaven and I know for sure I am going. I hope you do too.
~~deby

6 comments:

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Oh what a sweet post. Tommorrow is my sweet Grandmother's B-Day. She too is in heaven...hugs...m.

Anonymous said...

Deby,

What lovely templates. I can see from the design of the leaves that she was very precise and detailed. I'm sure her gift is very precious to you.

You are also very correct when you say that nothing will compare with heaven. It's something that we as Christians need to be reminded of every day. This earth is only our temporary home. I know that as long as you have faith in the Lord that one day, you shall be in heaven, and you will see your grandmother again.

Blessings to you,

-Lady Rose

Vi Abing said...

What a blessing that your mom left you with things that you can enjoy for years and pass along to your children along with stories connected to them.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I like to hear Perry como sing! I think we have at least one of his CD's. Looking forward to seeing my grandmother, mom and my great grandmother in heaven

Anonymous said...

oh how precious!! I do remeber Perry Como. In fact I think I have one of his vinyl LP's here somewhere. Such a smooth velvety voice!
Oh I adore autumn.......the picture you used is a spectacular array of colour. I agree, it doesn't match Glory that awaits us!
hugs Sandra nz

Lallee said...

That is so special to have those leaves from your grandmother.