A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 25:11

Friday, September 17, 2010

A bit real



This week a blog friend, wrote and told me she had fibromyalgia. Normally, I would just feel so bad for that person(s) and try to encourage them. This time, I started crying while looking at my laptop. I was thinking, "Please Lord, not another one". I know the battle it is. It is not a death sentence, but it is a up-hill struggle ALMOST everyday. I try not to dwell on it, or even blog on it. Today I will only because, there will be people with "Chronic diseases" come in your life. Be gentle with them....it is a lonely walk. Why, because...truly in my case, "The spirit is willing but the flesh is oh so weak". I say "no" to most things. I do everything in spurts. I can walk into a store and browse for minutes compared to what I used to do...I most often will leave my husband to wait in line or finish as I just need to get to the car, I hurt so bad. My sleep is horrible...most people with fibro have this symptom.

I get asked most often about meds. Well, it seems like everything has it's side effects, right now the side effects seem to make everything worse. I tend to "bite the bullet". I can't get tough, or "man up"...and let me tell you IF anyone I know had this just for a few hours, they would finally "get it". I am not bitter--that passed long ago. I just miss the "old me". I think those I love, miss the old Deby. So today, I write a bit more about this struggle, just in case you or someone you know gets stricken with this. I know it could be WORSE. I CLING to:

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

I share this quote from Rochelle's Learning to Trust Blog:
“In [Fibromyalgia], there is a generalized disturbance of how pain is processed. As the central nervous system becomes more sensitized, pain becomes more intense in response to any given stimulus, and this pain does not diminish as quickly as it does in a healthy individual. Eventually, the pain remains long after the stimulus or cause has ended. The FM patient feels amplified pain, and also may experience sensations of pain in response to normally nonpainful stimuli such as noise, touch, and light. The cognitive dysfunction that may also accompany FM can massively disrupt the patient’s lifestyle. You keep losing things, and you begin to think that one of them is your mind. The world has become a game where the rules change daily, and nobody tells you what they are. You can easily become overwhelmed.”
~ From the Foreword, Mari Skelly, Women Living with Fibromyalgia, ©2002

Yes,it could be worse. There are some that read my blog, that have "worse". This is not for them. It is for my friend who was just diagnosed and for me, sometimes I just need to be a bit real.
~~deby

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deby, thank you for visiting my blog. Yes, we have met before on my old blog, "Red Wellies, Rainbows and Cinnamon Whirls". So glad to "meet" again!

I too have FM. Sometimes I forget just how well I used to feel. I have recently taken on a part-time job and consequently, my fibro has flared up. I get home and crash. Trusting in the Lord is how I get through my day too.

Sending hugs to you and your friend,
Love, Tina xx

Rochelle said...

Oh Deby. My heart breaks in two for you. Because I know. I'm in that place right now where we just have to be real and say this is what my life is like right now and it really stinks. No bitterness or anger, just realness about our lives. It's okay to share your story and say "this is what it's about for me".

Thanks for the link and for sharing that excerpt...good stuff. If you haven't read that book, I highly recommend it! I didn't get a chance to read it all the way through yet, but what I have is really good!

Keep on keeping on. Look forward to Heaven where our bodies will be new and fresh and pain free!!! So while we have these wretched, sinful bodies, let's do what we can to bring honor & glory to God in everything we say & do. I believe you do that very well!

*hang in there*

Isaiah 43:2 "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you."

Lilly said...

That you have been able to endure the chronic ache with the fibromyalgia, because really controlling her is difficult, in my alone case I take vicodin to control the chronic ache, because the doctor me prescribed this medicament but I will follow some of your advices besides seems good to me.

Lilly Abbott
Findrxonline

Becky K. said...

Friend,

I am so thankful for bloggers who care as you do. You have a very real ministry. I do not have Fibromyalgia, although a doctor diagnosed me with it once. However, that time in my life was so very hard with chronic undiagnosed pain.

I pray that God continues to allow you the strength and the will to share and pray as you have been.

Becky K.

Abounding Treasures said...

Praying for you dear Deby, that the Lord will continue to carry you in His everlasting arms because this is something that is very hard to deal with and live with ... as is any chronic illness ... you are simply sharing your heart and I for one appreciate your honesty and transparency!

Blessings to you ...

Susan said...

Nothing wrong with being real, my friend! Just keep resting in the Lord!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Dearest Deby...

You have such a wonderful ministry of encouragement, even to those of us who don't have fibro...

God is using you in ways that you never would have been able to be used had you not had it...

2Co 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
2Co 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
2Co 1:5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

I appreciate you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deby,
Just checking in on you. I have been busy this week tending to Dave. Pray you feel better soon.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Deby,

I was very humbled and encouraged by your words. I am new to your blog, so therefore, I was unaware of the health challenges that you must face on a daily basis. My heart sincerely cries-out to you. I'm going to put you on my prayer list, dear Sister.

Thank you for being willing to share a very personal part of your heart with your blog friends. It has taught me to learn to show more compassion to individuals who are experiencing pain.

-Lady Rose
http://aqueeninhercastle.blogspot.com

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

Enjoyed the post and I like "real". Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Pom Pom said...

Hi Deby,
My mother has a light case and she is a go, go, go sort of person. Well, now she's 80 years old, so she's slowed down a bit. It's hard to see her hurt and she has sleep disturbances, too. Bless you. You are so cute. I love how you say in your profile, "tall and chubby" because I love the word chubby. It's such a good descriptor for me! I like your blog! Have a peaceful day.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Chronic illnesses are rough. I have lived with mine since I was born and a few more have been added along the way. My beloved jack also now lives with it. You just have to thrive as best you can and control the illness and pain as much as you can, rest when you need to, give in a little when you must. Loving, praying for and holding you in my heart always.

Aliene said...

Thanks, Deby, for the encouragement.
Especially the part about losing things. I was getting concerned.
I usually find them right where I put them. I think I may let others know what I have been trying to keep to myself. You seem to be such a blessing. My blog is not working right yet but I am going to keep trying to fix it. Working on setting up a new one. Blessings dear Sister.

Miss Gracie's House said...

Oh, dear Deby,
Such a *real* sweet post...this is how we know each other and know how to pray for each other...you are an encourager...we all have *pain*...just different kinds and the strength to endure comes from the same source...the JOY of the Lord is my strength...take care.
Rene

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Thank-you so much for this post. I have been having a time with mine lately. I to do things in spurts and shop most the same way as you and like your sweet husband mine too stands in line for me. Oh I so needed this post today Our God is so good all of the time....hugs...m.

sherry said...

Fibromyalgia is one of those rare, misunderstood conditions. Many physicians scratch their heads and wonder - and deem the symptoms as 'all in the head'.

Praying for you, sweet friend.
jAne

Dr. C B Boggs said...

I am one of the minority, a man with FM. I have known about my condition since the late 1980's, although then no one was eally sure what was wrong with me. I was determined to "fight it out", praying, believing in healing, and working as a pastor, a professional counselor and an accountant. Five year ago God finally broke through while I was confined to bed in a hospital after passing out at work. Paul had prayed for the "thorn in his flesh" to be removed more than once but when it was not he finally realized the God's grace is sufficient. That is hard to accept when you can no longer do the things you loved or even hated to do. I can no longer work-I forget numbers when accounting, I have no attention span when counseling and my pastoral services, especially preaching has become disjointed. Now the FM has caused the tendons in my hands and feet to slowly contract. If I try to open my fingers it is a horrible pain. There is no real "cure" to this, just endure and pop another pill that has more side affects than the good they do.
My mother had FM. She lived for 78 years and I have no memory of her ever being without pain, just times when she could mask it better than other times. Why this response? There are many times when I think "why me". I have been having one of those times in the last few days as I am about to be foreclosed from a house I have lived in for many years. But your blog, the insight from you and others has lifted me up, brought praise to my lips and reminded me that all things do work for good and His grace is more than sufficient.
May blessings untold and unlimited be to all who read this. May strength to move mountains be obvious in all of God's endeavors and may we continue to testify of His love and salvation at all times and in all situations.