A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 25:11

Friday, January 4, 2008

Show n Tell

I am participating in Kelli's Show n Tell
I am not sure that it MEETS the citeria
but as a homemaker I think maybe this will help others
as a reminder:
Yesterday, I put my tea kettle on to boil. I am sick with stage 2 of this *bug*
and I am trying to fight it with tea...etc...I am doing very little housework.
At the same time I was talking to my sister LISA on my bluetooth.
I was also folding some laundry.
As I was folding ....a thought came (thank you Lord)
Did I put that tea kettle on the right burner?
I ran into my kitchen....and lo and behold...
NO..I had NOT
Those burner covers you see charred....were so hot...my house was smelling
like cooking paint, and starting to fill with smoke.
I turned OFF the burner, then with tongs lifted off the hot covers, as I did this,
there was a flash of Fire..it stopped.
I was shaking, panicing a bit..and had my sister on the phone.
I am convinced a few more minutes and my house would be rubble today.
I am thankful for God's protection.
I told my husband
and this shows what he did after the fact
came home with a new kitchen Fire Extinguisher,
and a well deserved loving lecture
about leaving stuff unattended on the stove.
You see...Part of my fibromyalgia affects
my cognitive skills..not always..but when I am wore down
etc....so sometimes 2+2 does NOT make 4
This is a example of it.
IT is called "Fibro Fog"
The charred covers
given to me by my neighbor
I have never used these things before
and Now I am never allowed to....

Labeled dials

So thankful today for God's protection



Mrs.B said...

Oh my! Praise the Lord it turned out alright. I bet that was very scary.

Jessica said...

What a wonderful outcome of a potential disaster. I know that I've been tempted to put labels on my stove too. We bought a new one a year ago and I still have to be very careful about which knob goes to which burner. Thanks for sharing.

Simply Stork said...

oh my! how terribly frightning...arg. Sorry your not feeling well...

hope you feel better soon :o)

~simply stork~

Hootin' Anni said...

That is really spooky.

Happy Show n telling

Susan said...

Praise the Lord He prompted you to check! I'm glad that it was no worse!

BTW, we WILL be at the Preacher's Delight!!! We have a rental van and will leave Monday morning heading your way. Hope to see you there!

Judy said...

How scary. God does take care of us.

MammyT said...

I rejoice with you, Deby. Everything turned out OKAY. It is one more reason I like to have a gas stove. When a burner is on, you know it. Thanks be to God.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I'm glad you are safe. I turn on the wrong burner often, or forget to turn it of, ad nauseum . . . I really need to gather my brains!

Tracy said...

Oh, Deby! I praise God that you are alright, and that He protected you!

Penless Thoughts said...

Oh my!!!!! Glad nothing really bad happened.

J-ME said...

Oh, Debi, I have done that too. I won't use them now except for the one burner that I rarely use. I must say that you burned yours much more than I did. Thank the Lord, nothing nearby caught on fire. I can imagine how scared you must have been.

Anonymous said...

I've done the same thing, Deby. I'm thankful the Lord jogged your thinking and you went to check. Goodness knows it could've been *really* terrible!

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I made some chicken soup, shall I bring some over?


nannykim said...

Well, don't feel to bad. I do not have any illness and I have done the same thing repeatedly!! But it was mainly due to an old stove top that was a bit confusing. Last year we purchased a new stove top and the dials make much more sense as far as where they are located in respect to the burners!! I have also burned pans!!!

Sis. Julie said...

Bless your heart!! Praise the Lord that all is well. I'm so sorry that you are still sick. We have something going around our house too. I only pray that my husband (who has fibromyalgia) won't get any worse than he is. It seems to be so much harder on him than us.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I'm thankful all turned out well! Thanks for the reminder to all of us to be careful (especially when we're sick!) Hope you are feeling better!


Martie said...

Praise the Lord you caught it in time. I hope you are feeling better.


Cathy said...

Deby, thank God for His protection and the precious Holy Spirit. That had to be just too scary! I'm sorry you are sick, and I pray you will get well soon.

Happymama said...

Amen to God's protection!! I'm glad it wasn't worse. I have to admit I've burned more than a few of those burner covers. I know the smell you're talking about.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Pump up on Vitamin C and Echinacea! It works!


Pam--in Jerusalem said...

Praise God! I'm so glad you're okay and the house is still intact. I've always been afraid of those burner covers for this very reason.
I hope you feel better soon!

Sharon said...

Wow! That was a close one. I am glad you are okay and your home did not suffer more damage!

Mimi said...

I am so glad that God was in control even though you weren't...
that had to be very frightening but you did think fast and were able to prevent a fire!!
Blessing on you,

Pam said...

Oh Deby, so glad you all are okay!! Get better now ya hear?

Jackie said...

How wonderful that God took care of you.

Jodi said...

I'm so glad nothing serious came of it. The Lord is good!

Cookie Sunshine said...

Bless your heart, I hope you are feeling much better by now. The good part of this is that you will now have the pleasure of picking out new burner covers. I wonder if there is anyone at Etsy who handpaints burner covers? I'm thinking about the "handmade pledge" and supporting those people who are trying to make a living selling handmade items. Perhaps this is a way to make lemonade from a lemon?
Please feel better soon!

Kelli said...

I am so glad that you are ok, how scary! Thanks be to God!

Sarah Joy said...

Oh man that would send me shaking for a day and a half at least! I did almost blow up my kitchen because the oven doesn't work properly. My neighbor had a small explosion with her oven of the same type, so I'm afraid to even use mine now.

Praise the Lord for protecting you!

anita said...

Oh dear! I had to completely stop using them a few years ago. Thought they were so cute. But I was forever turning on the wrong one for some reason (never seemed to happen before) and before long I'd smell an awful plastic-y, chemical burning smell...ugh! Did it several times before I gave it up altogether.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!